Thursday, December 23, 2010

My Korean Kristmas.

Hopefully the title of this post didn't offend anyone who celebrates Christmas, but things here aren't quite the same as back at home. A few people have asked me about what Christmas is like in South Korea (because, yes, they do have Christmas here, with lights and trees and presents), but it's difficult to explain the subtle differences. As I've said before, no culture is better or worse, so this comparison is just for laughs and might put a new spin on how you choose to celebrate the season. Now, enough of the disclaimers. Let's compare.

Christmas light in the US:



Ah, nothing says "it's Christmas" like 5,000 colored bulbs timed to music.

Christmas lights in Korea:



... well, screw the colored lights. Nothing says "it's Christmas" like seasonally manicured nails.


Christmas carols in the US:



Another cultural fad, flash mobs, rock the Christmas season anywhere the people are (near fast food and shopping centers).



Christmas carols in Korea:



A whole different kind of fad hits Korea during Christmas, and her name is Mariah Carey.



Christmas zoos in the US:



In America, we like to make our lights do all the work at the zoo (AGAIN with the colored lights?!).



Christmas zoos in Korea:



In Korea, the animals prefer to get into the holiday spirit (or do they?...).


So, as you can see, Christmas is here, but it just isn't the same.

Friends and family, thank you for all the love and support from afar as I spend my first Christmas on my own. It's been beautiful and a little bittersweet, but knowing you are all still there and think of me makes everything about this season whole.

Followers of my blog whom I have yet to meet, thank you for taking the time to read about my adventures. I would like to extend the warmest wishes to you and your loved ones this season, whoever they may be and however you may celebrate.

Lastly, Korea-- thank you for giving me this wonderful opportunity to grow and find home wherever I am. It's not always easy but it's always a learning opportunity.

This will be my last post of the year, as I'm going on vacation immediately following Christmas for a weeklong trip to Seoul. Wish me luck as my friends and I troll up to the border, and expect an amazing Seoul post upon my return! See you in 2011!

Love and happiness to you all,
Laura (로라)
Share |

No comments:

Post a Comment